Indeed, many of us spend most of the day in our cars. Either we are running errands, going to places, or just hanging out with friends and enjoying the road. But how many of us actually know basic car care and maintenance tips? Hardly a few!
Well, if you enjoy the road, you must know that it becomes trouble if you cannot do basic car repairs or fixes and have to wait long hours for a mechanic to come and help you start the vehicle.
One of the basic skills that you might need at the side of the road is to jump-start the car. Let’s find out.
Reasons You Need to Jump-Start a Car
Before heading towards the procedure of jump-starting a car with cables, you must know when you have to do so. The following are the key reasons you need to jump-start a car.
Dead or Weak Battery
Your car’s battery cannot serve you for a lifetime. You need to replace or recharge them after a certain duration. In case the battery gets dead or weak, it fails to start your vehicle. In such a case you need to use cables and jump-start your car.
If your car’s battery is working properly, but it is still not starting, then the problem may be in the starter. If you hear a clicking sound on turning the key in the ignition, then your car’s starter is not working efficiently. However, it can die without any voice as well.
Clogged Fuel Lines
Your car needs fuel to start and run. Without fuel, you cannot move your car. Therefore, when your car has a low supply of fuel, it may not start by a regular method and you need to use cables. This problem mostly results due to the clogging of fuel lines. Blocked or clogged fuel lines don’t allow enough fuel to enter the combustion chamber of the engine. As a result, your car doesn’t start properly.
Damaged Spark Plugs
Spark plugs are present in the ignition system of your vehicle. They have to initiate the ignition process and start your vehicle. When they malfunction, they fail to initiate the ignition with their spark. As a result, you need to use an alternate method to start your vehicle. Jumpstarting your car with the help of cables is the best option in such a condition.
An alternator has to play an important role in your vehicle. It converts the mechanical energy into electrical and keeps the electric appliances of your car ON. However, when it is not working properly, your vehicle may not start by regular means. You need to jump-start your car. However, when the alternator is not working at all, then your car may stop after a few minutes of jump-starting.
How to Jump-Start a Car with cables?
Things You Will Need:
- A pair of jump leads (jumper cables) that work.
- The vehicle with the flat battery must be parked in a location where jumper cables may easily reach it.
- A vehicle with a fully charged battery is yet another option (avoid a hybrid or electric vehicle as this could cause damage).
Yes, most people may know how to start a vehicle with another vehicle; however, you must also know how to jump-start a car without another car. For now, we will discuss the steps of jumping a car with another car.
The Following Are The Steps:
- Prepare your jumper cables.
- Investing in a set of jumper wires and keeping them in the trunk is a good idea. If you don’t have jumper cables, you might need to start looking for new ones.
- Turn off the ignitions in both cars and put them in Park or Neutral.
- At the same moment, apply both parking brakes.
- Then, connect one of the red clips to the positive terminal of your battery.
- You will find the label either as”POS” or “+,” or it’s much bigger than the negative terminal.
- After that, connect the other red clip to the other vehicle’s positive terminal.
- Later, connect one of the black clips to the second battery’s negative terminal.
- Then, the last black clip should be attached to an unpainted metal spot on your car that isn’t near the battery.
- Use one of the hood’s metal supports to keep it open.
- This is how the cables should look.
- At last, start the engine of the working car and let it run for a few minutes.
- And then, attempt to start your vehicle after disconnecting the jumper cables.
- If your vehicle does not start after following the mentioned steps, re-check the cords and have the other person run their engine for five minutes. Then try again to start your automobile. If again does not work, your battery may be beyond repair.
Can you jump a car in the rain?
Yes! You can jump-start a car in the rain. Water is not a problem as the voltage is very low. The only thing you need to focus on is that no water should be dripping on the cables.
Which battery terminal to connect to first?
You have to connect the positive terminal first. If you connect the negative terminal first and then the positive, there are chances that your body becomes a part of the circuit. You can get an electric shock as well.
Why won’t my car start even with a jump?
When the spark plugs or alternator are completely dead, then your vehicle may not start even with a jump. The same happens when the safety switch of your car is broken.
What goes with black and red?
The positive terminal of the battery is connected to the red cable and the negative one goes with the black wire.
How long will a jumped battery last?
A jumped battery can easily last for 2 to 3 years or even longer. However, if there is a problem with the battery, it wouldn’t survive 15 minutes after the jump starts. It usually happens when the alternator is not working properly.
If you have managed to start the car, drive for at least 15-30 minutes to keep the battery charged. Moreover, keep in mind that the average lifespan of any battery is 5-7 years, and if your battery is this old and causing trouble in starting a car, you might need to replace it.
However, only a professional can help you with the right diagnosis. CarDecent is one of the best places to help you understand your automobile so you can avoid any damage.
Besides, if you need any guidance on small DIY fixes or need to understand the process, even about the quick car battery jump service, our blogs can help.
Last Updated on March 27, 2023 by Umar Tanveer
Mac is an Automotive enthusiast. He owns up to 15 vehicles. He deals with Auto problems and shows his skill to Car owners who are seeking any type of Car help.